Sunday, September 28, 2008

Ballet Costume from 1954

This is me in 1954, 7 years old, in my recital ballet costume. My dance teacher was Adelaide Molter in Severna Park, Maryland.

I thought you'd enjoy seeing this costume with the tutu portion made of tulle, which is a softer form of the nylon netting that we have today. Because it doesn't have the stiffness of nylon net it is much fuller in volume.

The bodice is a stiff form of velvet, though I don't know what it is called. Perhaps a reader will comment and let us know?

The plastic headband is covered with starched cotton roses.

And, this is still before pink tights became the standard - hence the white socks with black leather ballet slippers.

Tutu for ballet recital; photo credit J. Kramer.

If you need help with sewing techniques for dolls and costumes I recommend consulting my book.

No comments: